- About us
- News & Events
- Quality Improvement
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
Grants & Awards
- Available grants & awards
- Previous grants & awards
- Other funders
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
- Support us
Take our free CPD course and discover how guidelines can help you in practice, and learn how to create your own. This link will open in a new window and require registration.
Tools to assist in creating guidelines
A handy infographic that explains the process of creating local practice guidelines. Ideal to print! [PDF 168KB] (Updated May 2020).
You can use this template to structure your own practice guidelines. Once downloaded, please 'save as' and reopen from your saved location [Word 46KB] (Updated July 2019).
This list of consensus guidelines can be used to signpost you to clinical guidelines that may be of use. These guidelines are available online and have been selected because they have been created by experts in the relevant field and are based on published evidence [PDF 150KB] (Published July 2019).
Guideline case examples
The following case examples show how guidelines can be developed in practice
This award-winning case example shows how the Blue Cross developed guidelines within the practice to deliver a consistent approach to diagnosis and treatment throughout the charity for more than 60 common syndromes and conditions. Alison Thomas BVSc CertSAM MRCVS won an RCVS Knowledge Champion Award in 2019 for her work in this area [PDF 7436KB] (Updated December 2019).
This case example shows how one practice created guidelines for the use of suture material during feline spays [PDF 620KB] (Published July 2019).
- AVA Guideline: How to use less oxygen [guideline from the Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists] (CPD: 2 minutes) [PDF 2178KB] (Published 2020)
- AVA Guideline: How to use TIVA: total intravenous anaesthesia involves IV administration of drug(s) to produce anaesthesia [guideline from the Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists] (CPD: 2 minutes) [PDF 4215KB] (Published 2020)