- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
The Toolkit provides a guide to steps 1-3 of the 5 key steps to follow in EBVM:
Applying the results to clinical practice
1. Asking an answerable clinical question
The first step in searching for literature is to define your question, phrasing it in such a way that it will help you find all relevant articles and reduce the chance of you leaving anything important out. One way to do this is to use the PICO method.
EBVM Toolkit 1 [PDF 198KB]
2. Finding the best available evidence
The next step is to use the key concepts from the PICO to identify search terms and use these to build a search strategy.
EBVM Toolkit 2 [PDF 250KB]
3. Critically appraising the evidence for validity
Before using the checklists to critically appraise an article, you need to determine the study design presented in the article. EBVM Toolkit 3 explains how different types of study design can affect the "levels of evidence" a study provides; and EBVM Toolkit 4 offers advice on how to identify what type of study it is. EBVM Toolkits 6-15 provide critical appraisal checklists for different types of studies.
EBVM Toolkit 4 - What type of study is it? [PDF 349KB]
EBVM Toolkit 5 - Is this paper worth my time? [PDF 102KB]
EBVM Toolkit 6 - Controlled trial checklist [PDF 83KB]
EBVM Toolkit 8 - Case control checklist [PDF 103KB]
EBVM Toolkit 9 - Cohort study checklist [PDF 86KB]
EBVM Toolkit 12 - Diagnostic test study checklist [PDF 222KB] (New)
EBVM Toolkit 13 - Evidence Summary checklist [PDF 210KB] (New)
EBVM Toolkit 14 - Narrative Review checklist [PDF 192KB ] (New)
EBVM Toolkit 15 - Clinical Guidelines checklist [PDF 194KB] (New)
Sharing your answers with the profession
We hope this Toolkit will be useful for daily evidence-based practice – and that practitioners will share the answers they’ve found with their colleagues, by writing a Knowledge Summary and submitting it to Veterinary Evidence.
An online tutorial introducing the concepts of EBVM, and aims to give you a foundation from which you can start to appy EBVM to your own veterinary work.
We welcome comments and suggestions for improvement for all of the tools on this page. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org