- About us
- COVID-19 Mythbusting
- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- COVID-19 Mythbusting
- News & Events
- Quality Improvement
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
Grants & Awards
- Available grants & awards
- Previous grants & awards
- Other funders
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
- Support us
Veterinary nursing timeline
For the story before 1961, please read Veterinary Nursing - the Early Years, from the Related documents box.
|1961||RCVS approved first Animal Nursing Auxiliary (ANA) training scheme.|
|1962||First Animal Nursing Auxiliary qualified.|
|1965||British Veterinary Nursing Association was formed (it became the British Veterinary Nursing Auxiliaries Association the following year as the term ‘nurse’ was protected until 1984).|
|1984||Title 'veterinary nurse' first used.|
|1991||Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 amended and the role of nurse formally recognised in law (schedule 3).|
|1992||First group qualify as DipAVN (surgical).|
RCVS accredited as an awarding body for vocational qualifications.
|1998||RCVS starts to offer nationally recognised vocational qualifications (NVQs), first undergraduate courses become available.|
|2000||First equine veterinary nurses qualified.|
|2002||Veterinary Nurses Council established.|
|2002||First cohort awarded BSc Hons in Veterinary Nursing.|
|2007||Non-statutory Register of veterinary nurses started.|
|2010||First Veterinary Nurse on RCVS Council.|
|2011||Introduction of disciplinary system for Registered Veterinary Nurses.|
|2012||New Code of Professional Conduct includes, for the first time, a declaration to be made by Registered Veterinary Nurses on professional registration|