- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Our free resources will introduce you to different QI techniques, and help you understand the processes you can put in place to help improve outcomes.
Guidelines CPD Course (CPD: 20 minutes)
You can find courses on:
These links will open in a new window and require registration with our dedicated online learning portal.
This tutorial introduces the concepts of Evidence-Based Veterinary Medicine (EBVM), and aims to give you a foundation from which you can start to apply EBVM to your own veterinary work.
Tools to assist in creating guidelines
A handy infographic that explains the process of creating local practice guidelines. Ideal to print! [PDF 168KB] (Updated May 2020).
You can use this template to structure your own practice guidelines. Once downloaded, please 'save as' and reopen from your saved location [Word 46KB] (Updated July 2019).
You can use this example of how to use the guideline template to help you structure your practice guidelines. [PDF 188KB] (Updated July 2022)
Adapted from the original IHI framework, this resource is intended to support leaders within the veterinary sector in introducing the Joy in Work concept to their teams. The conversation guide will support you in setting up initial and continuing conversations with your team to identify any workplace frustrations, or ‘pebbles in your shoes’, and to engage and empower the team to identify potential solutions. [PDF 374KB] (Published February 2022)
This document included examples of Quality Improvement principles and tools which can be implemented within your practice to form your clinical governance plan. You should adapt this for your own practice, or local circumstances. Once downloaded, please 'save as' and reopen from your saved location [Word Doc 174KB] (Published July 2021).
This list of published guidelines can be used to signpost you to clinical guidelines that may be of use. These guidelines are available online and have been selected because they have been created by experts in the relevant field and are based on published evidence.
- AAFP Feline Anaesthesia Guidelines (July 2018). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- AAFP Guidelines on various feline conditions and welfare.
- AAHA/ AAFP Feline Vaccination Guidelines (August 2020). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- AAHA/AAFP Feline Life Stage Guidelines (February 2021). An inFOCUS summary of the guidelines is available here.
- AAHA: Guidelines on various topics from the American Animal Hospital Association.
- ACVIM consensus statement guidelines for the classification, diagnosis, and management of cardiomyopathies in cats (May 2020). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- ACVIM consensus statement on the diagnosis and treatment of chronic hepatitis in dogs (June 2019). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
ACVIM consensus statement on the treatment of immune‐mediated haemolytic anemia in dogs (June 2019). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- ACVIM consensus statement on the diagnosis of immune‐mediated hemolytic anaemia in dogs and cats (February 2019).
- ACVIM consensus statement guidelines for the diagnosis, classification, treatment, and monitoring of pulmonary hypertension in dogs (February 2020).
- ACIVM consensus statement on pancreatitis in cats (March 2021)
- ACVIM consensus guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs (April 2019).
- ACVIM consensus statement: Guidelines for the identification, evaluation, and management of systemic hypertension in dogs and cats (October 2018).
- ACVIM consensus statement: Support for rational administration of gastrointestinal protectants to dogs and cats (October 2018).
- ACVIM Small Animal Consensus Statement on Seizure Management in Dogs (February 2016).
- ACVIM Small Animal Consensus Recommendations on the Treatment and Prevention of Uroliths in Dogs and Cats (September 2016).
- BSAVA/SAMSoc Guide to Responsible Use of Antibacterials: PROTECT ME (November 2018).
- Haemoplasmosis in cats: European guidelines from the ABCD on prevention and management (Subscription required) (March 2018). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- International Renal Interest Society (IRIS): Guidelines on the staging of Chronic Kidney Disease [PDF 593KB] (Updated 2019).
- International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) Treatment recommendations for Chronic Kidney Disease [PDF 926KB] (Updated 2019).
- International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) Grading of Acute Kidney Injury (updated 2016).
- ISFM consensus guidelines on the diagnosis and management of hypertension in cats (March 2017). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- ISFM Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Acute Pain in Cats (December 2021)
- International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases (ISCAID) guidelines for the diagnosis and management of bacterial urinary tract infections in dogs and cats (Subscription required) (May 2019). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- Recommendations for approaches to meticillin-resistant staphylococcal infections of small animals: diagnosis, therapeutic considerations and preventative measures. Clinical Consensus Guidelines of the World Association for Veterinary Dermatology (June 2017). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- WSAVA Global Animal Welfare Guidelines (2018).
- WSAVA Global Dental Guidelines (October 2017). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- WSAVA Gastrointestinal Guidelines (2010).
- WSAVA Global Nutrition Guidelines (2011).
- WSAVA Guidelines for recognition, assessment and treatment of pain (2014).
- WSAVA Vaccination guidelines (2016).
- BEVA primary care clinical guidelines: Analgesia (Subscription required) (October, 2019). An inFOCUS summary of the guideline is available here.
- Borrelia burgdorferi Infection and Lyme Disease in North American Horses: A Consensus Statement (February 2018).
- European College of Equine Internal Medicine Consensus Statement- Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome in Adult Horses (September 2015).
- European College of Equine Internal Medicine Consensus Statement on equine metabolic syndrome (February 2019).
- Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis: An Updated Consensus Statement with a Focus on Parasite Biology, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention (February 2016).
- Bovine viral diarrhoea virus: An updated American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine consensus statement with focus on virus biology, hosts, immunosuppression, and vaccination (July 2020)
- Management of Coxiella burnetii infection in livestock populations and the associated zoonotic risk: A consensus statement (August 2018).
- Mycoplasma bovis Infections in Cattle (July 2011).
- RUMA: Antimicrobial use for cattle by the Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture (May 2015).
- RUMA: Antimicrobial use for sheep by the Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture (June 2019).
- RUMA: Antimicrobial use for pig production by the Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture (September 2018).
- SVS: Responsible use of antimicrobials by the Sheep Veterinary Society (July 2017).
- RUMA: Antimicrobial use for poultry and game production by the Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture (June 2018).
- RUMA: Antimicrobial use for fish production by the Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture (July 2007).
- AVA Guideline: How to use less oxygen [guideline from the Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists] (CPD: 2 minutes) [PDF 2178KB] (Published 2020)
- AVA Guideline: How to use TIVA: total intravenous anaesthesia involves IV administration of drug(s) to produce anaesthesia [guideline from the Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists] (CPD: 2 minutes) [PDF 4215KB] (Published 2020)
- Bat Care Guidelines by the Bat Conservation Trust (CPD: 70 minutes) (Updated 2016)
- Pet Blood Bank: Various guidelines on donation and transfusion.
- RECOVER: Guidelines for veterinary CPR (CPD: 75 minutes) (Published 2012)
Guideline Case Examples
Anaesthesia and surgery
This case example shows how one practice created guidelines for the use of suture material during feline spays [PDF 620KB] (Published July 2019).
This award-winning case example shows how Plymouth Veterinary Group created guidelines for performing cytology on patients presenting with ear pathology, utilising the whole teams’ skillset to improve the patient journey for a common and often persistent presentation. The application showed a bottom-up approach – increasing training, utilising RVN skills and demonstrating strong evidence that their changes led to an overall decrease in the number of antibiotics prescribed [PDF 275KB] (Published June 2021).
This award-winning case example shows how the Blue Cross developed guidelines within the practice to deliver a consistent approach to diagnosis and treatment throughout the charity for more than 60 common syndromes and conditions. Alison Thomas BVSc CertSAM MRCVS won an RCVS Knowledge Champion Award in 2019 for her work in this area [PDF 7436KB] (Updated December 2019).