- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Open access and free access resources
Open access resources are those which provide free content which can be read online, downloaded, copied and distributed as they are free of most copyright and licensing restrictions.
Free resources are also available to read for free, but may not be distributed, adapted or reproduced without permission from the copyright holder.
You should check the copyright and licensing for each resource you use. This is usually found on the ‘About us’ page or at the bottom of each article.
Open access content
- BioMed Central - over 200 peer-reviewed journals
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) - quality controlled scientific journals covering a range of subjects
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) - peer-reviewed journals in science and medicine
- PubMed Central - access to journals in biomedical and life-sciences
Open access journals
- Veterinary Evidence (2016-current)
- Acta Veterinaria Scandinavia (2001-current)
- BMC Veterinary Research (2005-current)
- Canadian Journal of Animal Science (1957-2011) (2012-current, partial access)
- Case Reports in Veterinary Medicine (2011-current)
- Frontiers in Zoology (2004-current)
- Human-Animal Interaction Bulletin (2013-current, access require registration)
- Israel Journal of Veterinary Medicine (2008-current)
- Irish Veterinary Journal (2004-current)
- International Archives of Medicine (2008-current)
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports (2015-current)
- International journal of applied research in veterinary medicine (2001-current)
- Journal of veterinary internal medicine (1997-current)
- Journal of veterinary medicine (2013-current)
- Journal of veterinary science (2000 - current)
- Journal of wildlife diseases (1965-current minus 1 year)
- Onderstepoort journal of veterinary science (2003-current)
- Pakistan veterinary journal (1999-current)
- Veterinary medicine and science (2015-current)
- Veterinary medicine international (2010-current)
- Veterinary medicine: research and reports (2010-current)
- Veterinary record open (2013 - current)
- Veterinary research (2011-current)
- Veterinary world (2008-current)
- World journal of veterinary science (2013-current)
Open access articles
- Veterinary articles from Wiley veterinary journals
- De Briyne, N. ... et al. (2014) Antibiotics used most commonly to treat animals in Europe. Veterinary Record, doi:10.1136/vr.102462
- Preventive Veterinary Medicine - view all open access articles
- The Veterinary Journal - view all open access articles
- Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology - view all open access articles
- Veterinary Microbiology - view all open access articles
- Veterinary Parasitology - view all open access articles
Free acess content
- Anesthesia for the vet practitioner 3rd ed. (electronic book published by Banfield Hospital)
- Free medical journals - over 2000 free medical journals
- Highwire Press (Stanford University) - contain the largest archive of free full-text science articles
- Interactive veterinary educational resources - series of 22 ibooks for veterinary students on topics difficult to visualise, produced by the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia
- International Veterinary Information Service (IVIS) - free (with registration) access to online books, journals and veterinary proceedings
- Merck Manual - veterinary edition
Free access journals
- Anaesthesia (1997-current minus 1 year)
- Banfield journal (2005-current)
- Canadian journal of animal science (1957-current minus 2 years)
- Canadian journal of veterinary research (1986-current minus 6 months)
- Canadian veterinary journal (1960-current 6 months)
- Emerging infectious diseases (1995-current)
- Equine disease quarterly (1992-current)
- European Journal of Companion Animal Practice (2005- current)
- Fishery bulletin (1999-current)
- International zoo news (1998-current)
- Journal of animal science (1910-current minus 1 year)
- Journal of animal welfare law (2005-current minus 1 year)
- Journal of applied poultry research (1996-current minus 1 year)
- Journal of dairy science (1918 - current minus 1 year)
- Journal of equine science (1994-current)
- Journal of veterinary diagnostic investigation (1989-current minus 1 year)
- Journal of veterinary medical science (1991-current)
- Science in Parliament (2004-current minus 1 year)
- Today's veterinary practice (2011-current)
- Veterinary focus (2006-current)
- Veterinary pathology (1964-current minus 1 year)
- Veterinary research (2000-2010)
- World animal health scientific & technical review (2001-current)
Free access articles
- AVMA collections - Canine behaviour series;Disaster preparedness and response (including health of search and rescue dogs); Facts and figure (employment, salaries; Feral cats; Heartworm disease; Obesity in dogs; Rabies; Spay-neuter; Zoonosis update
- Equine Veterinary Journal Supplements
- Equine Veterinary Journal - view all free articles
- Veterinary and Comparative Oncology - view all free reviews
- Equine endocrinology - Equine Veterinary Education & Equine Veterinary Journal have collaborated to create a free online collection of their recent articles on this subject to raise awareness of these common disorders
- Special issue: systematic reviews and meta-analysis in animal agriculture and veterinary medicine (2014) Zoonoses and Public Health, 61(S1), pp. 1-63