- About us
- News & Events
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
- Quality Improvement
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
Grants & Awards
- Available grants & awards
- Previous grants & awards
- Other funders
- Support us
Join the Library
Whether you are studying for a Certificate or a post graduate qualification, are a PDP candidate, or you just need information fast, membership of the Library allows you quick and easy access to quality resources.
We aim to process all applications, and send out details of how to access our resources and services, wwithin two working days of the receipt of the payment for library membership.
Applying for membership is easy.
- Apply by post. The application form and terms and conditions are available to download from the 'Related documents' box.
Membership is open to all qualified veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses.
Core membership gives the following benefits:
- Access to a wide range of full text electronic journals via Discovery and OpenAthens password
- Access to VetMed Resource which contains the veterinary science database - the world’s largest bibliographic database on veterinary medicine
- 25% discount on a full range of Library services including literature searches, subject alerts, and supplying copies of articles
Packages and annual fees
|Core membership for practising MRCVS*||£130|
|Core membership for practising MRCVS new graduate* (up to 2 years after graduation)||£75|
|Core membership for retired / unwaged MRCVS*||£75|
|Core membership for practising RVN*||£55|
|Core membership for retired / unwaged RVN*||£30|
|Premium membership for practising MRCVS plus 4 quarterly alerts on your choice of topic||£275|
|Premium membership for practising MRCVS plus 4 literature searches carried out by Library staff on topics of your choice||£315|
|Premium membership for practising RVN plus 4 quarterly alerts on your choice of topic||£200|
|Premium membership for practising RVN plus 4 literature searches carried out by Library staff on topics of your choice||£240|
|Core membership for non UK veterinary nurse||£140|
|Core membership for animal health professional (non MRCVS*)||£420|
|Core membership for animal health professional (non MRCVS*) working for registered charity||£160|
* at time of application or renewal
Access to electronic resources
If you are interested in finding out how our electronic resources can benefit you before joining, you can now apply for a Trial Library membership.
RCVS Knowledge has always heavily subsidised the Library’s membership. Although the income from fees makes a contribution to running costs, RCVS Knowledge continues to fund the shortfall between membership fees and the real costs.
The fees are set at a level which we believe, in consultation with members, are reasonable and affordable. We also try to maintain a reasonable balance between the income raised, and the funding provided by RCVS Knowledge to sustain the Library service.