- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Frequently asked questions
Some of the more frequently asked questions that the Library receives are answered here.
Have a question about Discovery? Check out our Discovery FAQ page.
If you have a question that isn't answered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Who can join the Library?
Membership of the RCVS Knowledege Library is open to any MRCVS and registered Veterinary Nurses. Other professionals working within animal health can become members but the fee charged will be more equivalent to the actual cost rate and not subsidised by the RCVS Knowledge. Membership is not available to student vets or VNs due to the licences we have in place with our electronic resource providers.
Statutory examination candidates can join the Library once they have declared their 'intention to sit' the examination. The membership fee is £25 for 6 months, and they can borrow 2 books for 4 weeks. To join the Library candidates should complete the application form from the 'Related documents' box and supply 1 proof of UK address.
How do I join the Library?
There are different membership packages available. Library members benefit from being able to access our electronic resources from home, and receive discounts on our service charges. Applying for membership is easy. Just read the terms and conditions then complete the application form and return it to us together with your payment.
Can I borrow?
Only Library members, and all members of the RCVS and registered veterinary nurses, who are based in the UK, can borrow. The limit is up to ten items at any one time.
You can borrow a book for one month. You can renew an item a further two times if no one else is waiting for it.
You can renew or reserve online, via our catalogue with your User ID and PIN. Please contact us if you do not know your User ID and PIN. Or you can get in touch with us and we can do it for you.
What do you charge for your services and how do I pay for them?
You can pay your Library invoices online by credit or debit card, or by bank transfer.
What electronic resources do you have?
There is access to a wide range of full-text journals from Wiley Online Library, ScienceDirect and AVMA Journals, and you can search on CAB Abstracts, CAB Direct and VetMed Resource bibliographic databases.
Can Library staff carry out literature searches on my behalf?
Yes we can carry out literature searches on your behalf. The search will provide you with a list of references and abstracts where available. You can find out more in ‘Our services’ page.
We also offer online literature searching workshops for beginners and those with intermediate skills, covering database searching and accessing online resources, focusing on the resources offered by the Library.