- About us
- COVID-19 Mythbusting
- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- COVID-19 Mythbusting
- News & Events
- Quality Improvement
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
Grants & Awards
- Available grants & awards
- Previous grants & awards
- Other funders
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
- Support us
Discovery frequently asked questions
Information on current issues with accessing resources
What is an OpenAthens Account?
An OpenAthens account allows library users to read and access all of these resources from many different providers using the same username and password.
What is my OpenAthens login?
Your OpenAthens username is your email address. You will need to create your password when you activate your account. If you have forgotten your password, please reset it here.
New library members will receive an email containing a link to activate their OpenAthens account and create a secure and memorable password. If you are a current library member and have not got an OpenAthens account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the URL for Discovery?
You can bookmark this URL to Discovery http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/discovery/ and access it with your OpenAthens login.
Can I log in to resources directly?
You can use your OpenAthens login to access subscribed content directly from the publishers:
- Science Direct - Click on Sign In – then select OpenAthens login
- Wiley Online Library - Enter in your OpenAthens username and password
- VetMed Resource
and also to access the following journals directly from the publishers:
- American Journal of Veterinary Research - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/AJVR/
- Companion Animal - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/Companionanimal/
- Journal of the American Veterinary Association - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JAVMA/
- Journal of Veterinary Dentistry - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVD/
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVDI/
- Journal of Veterinary Medical Education - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVME/
- Livestock - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/Livestock/
- The Veterinary Nurse - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/TVN/
- Veterinary Nursing Journal - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/VNJ/
- Veterinary Pathology - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/vetpath/
If you experience difficulty in accessing full-text articles via Discovery please try to access them directly from the publisher site with the links shown above. If you still have problems, please contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7202 0752.
Is there an advanced search option in Discovery?
Yes, this is available from the Discovery homepage – click on the Advanced search link under the search box. Advanced search allows you to combine search terms or search statements using Boolean operators, and to select search limits.
For advice on how to search Discovery and advanced searching techniques, please click here.
What is VetMed Resource?
For in-depth research use VetMed Resource
- it is located in the Discovery homepage, and
- it is located in the Discovery Advanced search page
Where can I find a list of journals available through Discovery?
- click on the Browse Journals option at the top of the screen. Here, you can search for a journal title or browse through the list of Popular Journals
- or you can click on A-Z Journal List on the Discovery homepage
Can I still use the saved searches and alerts that I have set up?
Saved searches and alerts that you have in AVMA or Wiley personal accounts can still be used in exactly the same way. Remember you will need to login with your OpenAthens account to gain full text access
If you have saved searches or alerts in your existing Science Direct user account you will need to either
- register with Science Direct for a new account and recreate your alerts and searches in that or
- contact us so that we can connect your OpenAthens account to your existing Science Direct account
How do I use the enhanced features on Discovery to organise my work?
Discovery allows you to create folders, save searches, and set up search alerts.
For advice on Basic and Advanced searching techniques, please click here.
Literature searching workshop
We offer workshops on a one-to-one basis to show you how to use our range of electronic resources, searching techniques and how to construct searching strategies.
We can arrange to deliver the workshop online if you can't come into the library.
We can also deliver a webinar if there is a group from your practice interested in learning how to search better.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.