- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Discovery frequently asked questions
What is an OpenAthens Account?
An OpenAthens account allows library users to read and access all of these resources from many different providers using the same username and password.
What is my OpenAthens login?
Your OpenAthens username is your email address. You will need to create your password when you activate your account. If you have forgotten your password, please reset it here.
New library members will receive an email containing a link to activate their OpenAthens account and create a secure and memorable password. If you are a current library member and have not got an OpenAthens account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the URL for Discovery?
You can bookmark this URL to Discovery http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/discovery/ and access it with your OpenAthens login.
Can I log in to resources directly?
You can use your OpenAthens login to access subscribed content directly from the publishers:
- Science Direct - Click on Sign In – then select OpenAthens login
- Wiley Online Library - Enter in your OpenAthens username and password
- VetMed Resource
and also to access the following journals directly from the publishers:
- American Journal of Veterinary Research - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/AJVR/
- Companion Animal - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/Companionanimal/
- Journal of the American Veterinary Association - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JAVMA/
- Journal of Veterinary Dentistry - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVD/
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVDI/
- Journal of Veterinary Medical Education - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/JVME/
- Livestock - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/Livestock/
- The Veterinary Nurse - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/TVN/
- Veterinary Nursing Journal - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/VNJ/
- Veterinary Pathology - http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/vetpath/
If you experience difficulty in accessing full-text articles via Discovery please try to access them directly from the publisher site with the links shown above. If you still have problems, please contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7202 0752.
Is there an advanced search option in Discovery?
Yes, this is available from the Discovery homepage – click on the Advanced search link under the search box. Advanced search allows you to combine search terms or search statements using Boolean operators, and to select search limits.
What is VetMed Resource?
For in-depth research use VetMed Resource
- it is located in the Discovery homepage, and
- it is located in the Discovery Advanced search page
Where can I find a list of journals available through Discovery?
- A-Z Journal List
- or click on the Browse Journals option at the top of the screen. Here, you can search for a journal title or browse through the list of Popular Journals
How do I use the enhanced features on Discovery to organise my work?
Discovery allows you to create folders, save searches, and set up search alerts.
Literature searching workshop
We offer workshops on a one-to-one basis to show you how to use our range of electronic resources, searching techniques and how to construct searching strategies.
We can arrange to deliver the workshop online if you can't come into the library.
We can also deliver a webinar if there is a group from your practice interested in learning how to search better.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.