- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Tools, guidelines and checklists
- EBVM Toolkit is designed to help busy veterinary practitioners answer a clinical question with the best available evidence
- Critical appraisal tools - developed by The Joanna Briggs Institute
- Critically appraised topics checklists for quantitative studies - developed by the University of Auckland, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- CASP checklists - critical appraisal tools produced by CASP UK, to be used when reading research papers
Protocols and good practice
- Standard Protocol Items: Recommedations for Interventional Trials (SPIRIT) - an international initiative that aims to improve the quality of clinical trial protocols
- Guidelines for good clinical practice in clinical trials - Medical Research Council
- NIHR randomised trials methods - sharing good practice in randomised trial design and conduct
- VeNom Codes - the codes are a list of terms that are used in veterinary practice and have been standardised across institutes to facilitate academic discussion, research and clinical auditing
Quality Improvement resources
- Quality Improvement resources - guidance, examples and templates produced as part of the Quality Improvement Project in the areas of Clinical Audit, Significant Event Audit, benchmarking, guidelines and checklists
Tools and toolkits
- PICO.vet - is designed to help you build a well-structured and focused clinical question
- Clinical trials toolkit
- Glossary: general terms for evidence-based medicine and epidemiology - compiled by John Gay, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University
- Nuzzo, R. (2014) P values, the 'gold standard' of statistical validity, are not as reliable as many scientists assume. [free access, Nature 12 February 2014]
- Open Educational Resources (OERs) for research students - Ready to Research
- Systematic Review Toolbox - latest tools to support the systematic review process
- Quiz: How to critically evaluate evidence - 6 multiple choice questions by Jennifer Hamlin published in Veterinary Team Brief
- CONSORT Statement (Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials) - encompasses various initiatives developed by the CONSORT Group to alleviate the problems arising from inadequate reporting of randomized controlled trials (RCTs). CONSORT reporting guidelines
- Equator Network - the resource centre for good reporting of health research studies
- MERIDIAN : Menagerie of Reporting guidelines Involving Animals - a collection of reporting guidelines for research studies that involve animals
- PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses) - it is an evidence-based minimum set of items for reporting in systematic reviews and meta-analyses
- The TIDieR (Template for Intervention Description and Replication) Checklist: information to include when describing an intervention and the location of the information. Use this checklist in conjunction with the TIDieR guide [Available online, BMJ. 2014;348:g1687]
- Dean, R. (2013) How to read a paper and appraise the evidence. In Practice, 35 (5), pp. 282-285
- Greenhalgh, T. (2014) How to read a paper: the basics of evidence-based medicine. Fifth ed. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell
- Journal Clubs - Join a journal club or start one in your practice
- for advice on how to set up and running a journal club in practice [PDF 2401 KB]
- for suggested materials and guidance on how to assess published papers
- Equator Network toolkit for authors and guidance on scientific writing
- Wellcome Trust science writing tips
- Gastel, Barbara (2013) Annotated journal article. A journal article with comments written on it about aspects of the writing
If you know of any other great resources, please let us know. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org