- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Sources of evidence
Animal health & diseases
- Animal Health & Production Compendium (AHPC) - an encyclopaedia on the health and production of pigs, poultry and ruminants, including food safety. Contains pictures, and text on diseases, pathogens, parasites and breeds [access available to RCVS Knowledge library members]
- Merck Veterinary Manual - reference source of animal health information, available for free on the web
- PubAg - a portal from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), delivering free full-text articles on agricultural research including animal production and protection
- SAVSNET - The Small Animal Veterinary Surveillance Network, a collaboration between the British Small Animal Veterinary Association (BSAVA) and the University of Liverpool
- Trip Database - a clinical search engine to find clinical research evidence
- World Animal Health Information Database (WAHID) - access to all data held within the World Animal Health Information System on the worldwide animal health situation, including zoonoses. Created and managed by the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
- VetCompass - The Veterinary Companion Animal Surveillance System, a collaboration between The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) and the University of Sydney
- Zoonoses and veterinary public health [WHO] - major zoonotic diseases WHO deals with, and links to related information on the internet
Grey literature: conference papers, research reports, dissertations, official publications
- BICTEL/e - common repository of e-theses of the universities of French Community of Belgium
- Conference Papers Index - access to international research papers presented at scientific conferences throughout the world (access via subscription)
- DART-Europe - database of open access research theses in Europe
- EThOS - database of UK doctoral research theses, many of which are available to download
- Index of Conference Proceedings - produced by the British Library
- OATD.org - index to open access graduate level theses worldwide
- OpenGrey - database of bibliographic references to grey literature produced in Europe
- theses.fr - a search engine for French doctoral theses
Journal and bibliographic databases
- PubMed Veterinary Science - comprises millions of citations for veterinary literature from MEDLINE and NCBI
- Veterinary Science Search and veterinary Information Resources - list of veterinary information sources, which includes some free-access databases and websites of key animal health organisations, from the U.S. National Library of Medicine
- VetMed Resource - contains the Veterinary Science Database for in-depth research. It also contains the Animal Health & Production Compendium [access available to library members]
- Zoological Record - database of animal biology dating back to 1864 [access via subscription]
- Science Direct - a major supplier of full-text electronic journals [selected titles are available to library members]
- Wiley Online Library - a major supplier of full-text electronic journals [selected titles are available to library members]
Identifying journals to be handsearched
Not all journals are indexed by database providers, and not all indexed journal articles are retrievable from databases. Some databases may not index articles in supplements or special issues. The following sources can be used to identify relevant journals:
- NLM Catalog: Journals referenced in the NCBI databases - searchable by topic, journal title, abbreviation or ISSN [free access]
- Ulrichsweb - detail information about over 300,000 journals [access via subscription]
Image: Man reading a book. Author - Ragnvald. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic license