- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Free Quality Improvement boxset series now live
8 July 2021
The QI Boxset, RCVS Knowledge’s latest educational series that supports veterinary teams with implementing Quality Improvement into practice, is available to stream now.
The new Quality Improvement (QI) series, available on RCVS Knowledge’s updated e-learning platform, offers five hours of CPD in an easily digestible format. The content is arranged in three episodes:
● Clinical governance, the Code of Conduct, and Quality Improvement
● Getting started with Quality Improvement in your practice
● Communications, meetings, and journal clubs.
Each episode features podcasts, webinars, and video interviews, ranging from 5 to 45 minutes long, which can be viewed as a collective or separately. The multimedia resources are supplemented with additional reading, and as with all RCVS Knowledge’s QI resources, all the content is free to access.
According to research commissioned by RCVS Knowledge and conducted by RAND Europe, a lack of time and know-how prevents veterinary professionals from engaging with QI. The QI Boxset aims to tackle this by providing easily accessible, quick, and informative content that is specifically targeted at busy veterinary professionals in practice.
In other research conducted by RCVS Knowledge, 90% of participants asked for support to help meet the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme (PSS) requirements. The QI Boxset series is one way in which RCVS Knowledge is supporting veterinary teams with this, with the first episode covering how clinical governance and QI fit with the RCVS Code of Conduct and PSS. The RCVS has recently updated the PSS requirements to include more of an emphasis on clinical governance and audit, the health and wellbeing of the veterinary team, and the role of veterinary nurses – in which QI can play a crucial role.
The first series “Establishing a Quality Improvement structure in practice” includes conversations with a range of experts, including Melissa Donald, RCVS Junior Vice President, John Williams, National Surgical Lead at Vets Now, and Marnie Brennan, Director of the Centre for Evidence-based Veterinary Medicine at the University of Nottingham, whose team became Knowledge Champions in the 2021 Knowledge Awards. Future QI Boxset series will cover clinical audits, benchmarking, checklists, human factors, systems thinking and practice culture.
Angela Rayner, Director of Quality Improvement at CVS, who also features in the series, said, "The new QI Boxset provides a fantastic opportunity to further our learning through sharing experiences and growing our supportive community.”
David Ashcroft, RCVS Practice Standards Scheme Lead Assessor, said “RCVS Knowledge has always been a 'go to' resource for the Practice Standards Scheme when we advise practices how to meet their requirements. This new boxset is a great enhancement to the facilities available and I would encourage practices to interact with this on an ongoing basis. The benefits will enhance the quality of work for all team members and the whole practice.”
Pam Mosedale, QI Clinical Lead at RCVS Knowledge, said, “We are delighted that the first series of the QI Boxset is out, and hope that the veterinary community takes this opportunity to learn from others about the benefits that QI brings for practice teams and their patients. We are continuing to work on additional series of the boxset, to offer further detailed support for veterinary teams on QI tools such as clinical audits, checklists and benchmarking.”
Join in the conversation on social media with #QIBoxset