- About us
- News & Events
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Topic in focus
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
- Quality Improvement
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
- Support us
Dangerous dogs: assessment and legislation
In May 2014 the amended Dangerous Dogs Act came into effect in England and Wales. It included legislative changes making it an offence for a dog to be dangerously out of control in any place. Tougher penalties were also introduced for irresponsible owners, and a specific new offence if a dog attacks an assistance dog.
In the UK, it is against the law to own the following types of dog:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Japanese Tosa
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brasiliero
- Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
- The amendment in 2014. Part 7 of the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
- Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Act 1997
- Dangerous Dogs (Designated Types) Order 1991
- Dangerous Dogs Exemption Schemes (England and Wales) Order 2015
- Dangerous Dogs Law: Guidance for enforcers
A selection of related references
A list of references is available from the 'Related documents' box.
- Tudor, N. (2013) Law, ethics and professional practice - Part 1: euthanasia of healthy, but aggressive, dogs. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 28(2), pp. 58-59.
- Martlew, Eric (Chair) (2008) Dangerous dogs - an AGPAW mini-report May 2008. The Associate Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare.
- González Martínez, Á ... et al. (2011) Risk factors associated with behavioral problems in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research, 6(4), pp. 225-231
- Ott, S. A.; Schalke, E.; Gaertner, A. M. von; Hackbarth, H. (2008) Is there a difference? Comparison of golden retrievers and dogs affected by breed-specific legislation regarding aggressive behavior. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research, 3(3), pp. 134-140
In the Library, we have the following publications:
- Advisory Council on the Welfare Issues of Dog Breeding (2014) Summary of progress since the Bateson Report of 2010
- Crispin, Sheila (2012) The Council's report on the first 8 welfare priorities. Advisory Council on the Welfare Issues of Dog Breeding.
- Bateson, Patrick (2010) The independent inquiry into dog breeding.
- Stafford, Kevin (2007) The welfare of dogs.