- About us
- News & Events
- Access our electronic resources
- Our resources
- Join the Library
- Our services
- Access the Library catalogue
- Topic in focus
- Keeping up with your PDP and CPD
- Frequently asked questions
- Pay an invoice
- Quality Improvement
- Historical Collection
- Highlights of the collections
- Genealogical research
- The history of the RCVS
- History of the veterinary profession
- Historical Collections blog
- Your donations create a lasting legacy
- Useful links
- Support us
Continuing Professional Development for VNs
The RCVS Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Nurses makes it clear that all veterinary nurses are obliged to maintain and continue to develop their professional knowledge and skills. The required minimum CPD is 45 hours in any three-year period with an average of 15 hours per year.
CPD Champions blog - vets and veterinary nurses writing about a range of issues relating to CPD
- Bonner, J. (2015) CPD on the record. Companion, January, pp. 8-9
- Ackerman, N. (2014) Online learning: innovations in e-CPD and e-learning for VNs. VN times, 14(6), p. 16
- Andrews, F. (2014) A new year begins, but the learning continues. Veterinary business journal, 130, pp. 6-8
- Page, J. (2013) CPD - the Diploma in Advanced Veterinary Nursing. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 28(5), pp. 167-168
- Branscombe, L. and Lumbis, R. (2010) Evaluating the need for continuining professional development (CPD). The veterinary nurse, 1(1), pp. 4...11
Free CPD resources
- Sign up to the Veterinary Nursing subject alert service - the alerts are sent out in January, April, July and October and contain abstracts of articles published in the previous three months. An example of this alert is available to donwload from the 'Related documents' box on the right
- Veterinary Evidence is an open access online journal published by RCVS Knowledge
- VN Knowledge webinars are free to BVNA members
- Free webinar series for nurses and technicians for ISFM members. Membership is free to all veterinary nurses and technicians
- Open access webinars to non-members of ISFM
- Free webinars from The Webinar Vet
- Resources from LafeberVet: the resource for exotic animal veterinary professionals. Continuing education and webinar
- Today's Veterinary Technician: An official journal of the NAVC. Subscribe for free
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD): the importance of lifelong learning. Kit Sturgess and Liz Cox. Webinar recorded on April 21, 2015
- Veterinary nurses and the law. Kathy Kissick and Gordon Hockey. Webinar recorded on February 23, 2015
- Clinical governance - how is it relevant to me? Dr Bradley Viner and Pam Mosdale. Webinar recorded on February 18, 2014
Eye on EBVM
In a series of articles, RCVS Knowledge is offering advice and ideas to RVNs on how to ensure EBVM is adopted in clinics.
- Belle, J. (2017) Top tips on how to run a journal club, VN Times, 17(3), p. 4
Learning resources for RVNs
The RCVS Knowledge Library has a wealth of electronic and print resources to support your CPD, postgraduate study and to help you keep up to date with the latest research. Anyone is welcome to visit us and use our resources.
If you would like to access our electronic resources and access full-text journal articles from home then RVNs can join the library for a small, heavily subsidised, annual fee.
Upcoming events for VNs
- BVNA Regional Meetings and National CPD Events
- Irish Veterinary Nursing Association Annual Congress - Galway, 27-28 May 2017
- ISFM World Feline Congress - Brighton, 28 June-2 July 2017
- BVNA Congress - Telford, 6-8 October 2017
Books in the RCVS Knowledge Library
Check our library catalogue for more resources for VNs.
- Girling, Simon J. (2013) Veterinary Nursing of Exotic Pets. Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell. 2nd ed.
- Wuestenberg, Kimm (2012) Clinical Small Animal Care: Promoting Patient Health Through Preventative Nursing. Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell
- Coumbe, Karen M. (2012) Equine Veterinary Nursing. Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell. 2nd ed.
- Welsh, Liz (ed.) (2009) Anaesthesia for Veterinary Nurses. Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell. 2nd ed.
- Lake, Terry and Green, Nicola (2009) Essential Calculations for Veterinary Nurses and Technicians. London : Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann. 2nd ed.
- Gaudiano, Frances (2005) Veterinary Dermatology: a Manual for Nurses and Technicians. London : Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann
- Turner, Sally (2005) Veterinary Ophthalmology: a manual for nurses and technicians. London : Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann