- Should the kennel cough vaccine be given during COVID-19?
- Can cats transfer COVID-19 to other animals, and is there a risk of zoonosis
- What's the difference between FCoV and COVID-19?
- What can we clean a patient with, and will this kill COVID-19?
- Does ultraviolet light actually kill COVID-19?
- Will good weather affect infection rates of COVID-19?
- When should we test an animal for COVID-19?
- How do Face Coverings work?
- What evidence supports use of face coverings?
- How and when to wear a face covering
- Do ferrets and other mustelids pose a zoonotic risk for COVID-19?
- Mink and COVID-19: The Denmark mutation
- What advice should we give owners of ferrets during COVID-19?
- How can we offer a cat friendly environment during COVID-19?
- How should we handle a ferret in the practice or rescue environment?
Senior Web Designer
Do you want to help raise the profile of a fast-growing, respected charity? Would you relish the challenge to create new user-centred websites and enhance the design and user experience of an established website portfolio? Are you also keen to help improve the care animals receive while you do this?
If so, then RCVS Knowledge could be the place for you. Our mission is to advance the quality of veterinary care for the benefit of animals, the public, and society.
We support thousands of vets and their teams to deliver high-quality evidence-based veterinary medicine to millions of animals, by providing them with cutting-edge veterinary research, practical resources and unique historical archives. We are the charity partner of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
We are in an exciting period of growth. Our resources, most of which are web-based, are highly regarded by our current audience and our visibility is growing. This is the time to ensure we are maintaining the highest quality in our developing portfolio and to place our users front and centre to everything we create digitally.
We’re looking for a creative, collaborative and flexible web design professional with extensive experience in creating user-centred websites and newsletters for a variety of audiences. You’ll be enthusiastic, calm under pressure and full of ideas to help us improve our output. You’ll join a fast-paced, friendly and highly committed team working to grow the brand recognition of RCVS Knowledge and ultimately support veterinary professionals and their patients across the UK and beyond.
We offer an impressive range of benefits, including flexible working, 25 days holiday, volunteering days, a wellbeing allowance and a generous pension. We were also recently named a Top-50 Great Place to Work for five years running.
The Senior Web Designer is responsible for designing and quality-assuring our digital output to attract and drive engagement with our target audiences, ensuring our assets are accessible, on-brand, and search-engine-optimised. The postholder will create websites and content for digital channels, including infographics and other visuals, using a variety of tools and drawing from extensive digital design experience.
This is a dynamic, busy and creative role that works collaboratively with the wider Communications and Digital team, as well as Editorial and project lead colleagues to create the highest-quality digital products, increasingly at the heart of all our work to advance the quality of veterinary care.
- Create and enhance the design of our websites and e-newsletters, to optimise user experience and accessibility across all platforms, devices and browsers.
- Ensure RCVS Knowledge’s brand is accurately used across the whole digital portfolio.
- Work closely with the Head of Communications and Digital to develop the RCVS Knowledge brand consistently and effectively, and act as a digital brand champion.
- Provide guidance and support for content editors in accessibility and SEO to enable growing understanding of these areas in relation to ongoing projects and resources.
- Create visual identity assets as necessary for different channels, including newsletters, social media and multimedia as needs arise.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the team and colleagues in the wider organisation to deliver high-quality digital products in time and to budget.
- Maintain an awareness of emerging best practice and trends in web and digital design and inform organisational practice.
- Work productively with partner organisations, agencies and freelancers, as necessary.
- Undertake professional development, as required.
- Undertake any other duties relevant to the objectives of the post and to the needs of the evolving organisation.
- Contribute to the wider activities of RCVS Knowledge, as appropriate.
Required skills, knowledge & experience
- Extensive experience of creating responsive, accessible websites and e-newsletters based on user-centred design, having worked on a variety of projects and organisations.
- Excellent understanding of accessibility, UX and responsive design principles.
- Experience of producing striking and effective online designs from concept to delivery.
- A thorough understanding of design fundamentals such as typography, interaction design and usability, grid systems, white space, aspect ratios and colour theory, tying all of these elements together with attention to detail. Initiative, energy and enthusiasm, and ability to work efficiently on several projects at once.
- Experience of SEO planning and implementation.
- Excellent Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of design tools/apps, such as Sketch, Adobe XD, Zeplin and Figma.
- Strong HTML5 and CSS3 to create designs from scratch for multiple devices.
- Experience of conducting IA reviews and implementing recommended changes.
- Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
- GIT version control to update projects and track changes.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and productively with non-technical colleagues.
- Initiative, energy and enthusiasm, and ability to work efficiently on several projects at once.
- Ability to work independently, as the sole designer within a multi-skilled team.
Desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS (plugins, theming, management)
- Experience of designing infographics
- Graphic design skills (Adobe InDesign) and experience of preparing artwork for print
- Project management experience
- Experience of working within the not-for-profit sector
How to apply
To apply for this role, please read the job description carefully, then submit your CV and a supporting document (PDF would be ideal) explaining your interest and suitability for the role, including examples of some of your work, by midnight on Sunday 17 October.
We reserve the right to review applications as they come in, so don’t delay in sending yours. We look forward to receiving it.
Please note interviews will be held in late October.