There are several techniques used in the management and care of open wounds. The references below highlight the techniques and developments in this area of veterinary medicine.
- Williams, J. and Condon, A. (2014) Developments in wound care. Veterinary Times, 44(32), pp. 14-16
- Pitt, K.A. and Stanley, B.J. (2014) Negative pressure wound therapy: experience in 45 dogs. Veterinary Surgery, 43(4), pp. 380-387 (online access available to library members)
- Schoonover, M.J. (2014) Platelet-rich plasma therapy in wound management. Proceedings of the NAVC Conference, Large Animal, vol. 28 (free online access via registration with IVIS)
- Goldworthy, S. and McAlinden, A. (2011) Use of VAC in wound management. Veterinary Times, 41(36), pp. 18...21
- Demaria, M. ... et al. (2011) Effects of negative pressure wound therapy on healing of open wounds in dogs. Veterinary Surgery, 40(6), pp. 658-669 (online access available to library members)
- Bowlt, K. and Friend, E. (2011) Small animal wound management: options for wound closure. UK Vet: Companion Animal, 16(June), pp. 13-18 (online access available to library members)
- Kirkby, K.A. ... et al. (2010) Surgical views: vacuum-assisted wound closure: clinical applications. Compendium Continuing Education for Veterinarians, 32(3) pp. E1-6
More references on the treatment of open wounds from our search on CAB Abstracts databases are available to download from our 'Related documents' box.
Other sources of information
- Kirpensteijn, J. and ter Haar, G. (2013) Reconstructive surgery and wound management of the dog and cat. London: Manson Publishing Ltd (library copy available for loan)
- Winkler, K.P. (2012) Initial wound management. Merck Veterinary Manual (available online, accessed 11/8/2014)
- Drobatz, K.J., Beal, M.W, and Syring, R.S. (eds.) (2011) Manual of trauma management in the dog and cat. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell (library copy available for loan)
- Pavletic, M.M. (2010) Atlas of small animal wound management and reconstructive surgery. 3rd ed. London: Saunders (library copy available for loan)
- Williams, John and Moores, Alison (eds.) (2009) BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Wound Management and Reconstruction. 2nd ed. Cheltenham: BSAVA (library copy available for loan)
- Wound management (2006) Veterinary Clinics of North America. Small Animal Practice (special issue), 36(4) (online access available to library members)
- Wound management (2005) Veterinary Clinics of North America. Equine Practice (special issue), 21(1) (online access available to library members)
For information on equine wound management
Image source: Calve having recovered from blackleg after removing of all necrosed muscles (this animal recovered afterwards)Author: Lucyin. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.