All horses, ponies and donkeys must have a horse passport.
- Advice to the veterinary profession regarding Horse Passport Regulations 2009 (RCVS News article February 2013) [accessed 30 June 2014]
- Equine organisations see 'glaring flaws' in horse passport proposals - concerns raised about the draft legislation by leading equine organisations has led to the postponement of the vote on proposals for new European horse passport laws. Veterinary Record, 174 (20), p. 490 [accessed 30 June 2014]
For more information
- Prescribing veterinary medicines for horses [online]. Available from http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/leaflet_horses.pdf [Accessed 11 November 2013]
- Horse medicines and passport requirements: important points for vets [online]. Available from http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/leaflet_horse_medicines.pdf [Accessed 11 November 2013]
- Getting and using a horse passport [online]. Available from https://www.gov.uk/horse-passport [Accessed 30 October 2013]
- Guidance on horse medicines and horse passports [online]. Available from http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/vmgn/VMGNote16.pdf [Accessed 30 October 2013]
- Horse Passports Regulations 2009
- EU Regulation (EC) No 504/2008 implementing Directives 90/426/EEC and 90/427/EEC as regards methods for the identification of equidae.
- EU Regulation (EU) No 37/2010 on pharmacologically active substances and their classification regarding maximum residue limits in foodstuffs of animal origin.
1. Confusion over horse passports (2013). Veterinary Record, 173 (11), p. 258
2. Boden, L. A. et al. (2013) An online survey of horse-owners in Great Britain. BMC Veterinary Research, 9, p. 188
3. Gibbens, N. (2013) Exploring opportunities to do things differently. Veterinary Record, 173 (8), pp. 179-181
4. Jones, P. And Chandler, K. (2013) Horse passport survey. Veterinary Record, 172 (14), p. 370
5. Robin, C. A. et al. (2013) The accuracy of the National Equine Database in relation to vector-borne disease risk modelling of horses in Great Britain. Equine Veterinary Journal, 45 (3), pp. 302-308
More references from CAB Abstracts database on issues relating to horse passports is available to download from our 'Related documents' box.