Last May, Hill's Pet Nutrition organised a two-day international symposium on feline lower urinary tract health in Prague. It can be said that there is still much to learn as most cases about feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD) are being diagnosed as feline idiopathic cystitis.
Environmental stressors had been reported to exacerbate clinical signs; and methods of reducing stress and anxiety were an important component to ensure the cat's environmental needs were being met.
Reports on the conference:
- Feline lower urinary tract disease: looking beyond the bladder (2015). Veterinary Record, 175(11), pp. 268-269.
- Ellis, S.L.H. et al. (2013) AAFP and ISFM feline environmental needs guidelines. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 15(3), pp. 219-230 [free article. Last accessed 4/6/2015]
Other references of interest:
- International Cat Care advice on Feline lower urinary tract disease and Feline idiopathic cystitis
- Jessen, L.R. et al. (2015) Effect of antibiotic treatment in canine and feline urinary tract infections: a systematic review. Veterinary Journal, 203(3), pp. 270-277 [full-text available to Library members]
- Caney, Sarah (2015) Idiopathic cystitis in cats: treatment and management. Veterinary Times, 45(22), pp. 20-21
- Westropp, Jodi (2014) Feline idiopathic cystitis: evidence-based management. [PDF 1.48 MB]
[free article available online. Last accessed 4/6/2015] - See more at: http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/library-and-information-services/keeping-up-with-your-pdp-and-cpd/topics-in-focus/?preview=true#sthash.g2F84WXI.dpuf[free article available online. Last accessed 4/6/2015] - See more at: http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/library-and-information-services/keeping-up-with-your-pdp-and-cpd/topics-in-focus/?preview=true#sthash.g2F84WXI.dpuf[free article. Last accessed 4/6/2015]
- Kerr, K.R. (2013) Dietary management of feline lower urinary tract symptoms. Journal of Animal Science, 91(6), pp. 2965-2975 [free article. Last accessed 4/6/2015]
- Zezza, L., Reusch, C.E. and Gerber, B. (2012) Intravesical application of lidocaine and sodium bicarbonate in the treatment of obstructive idiopathic lower urinary tract disease in cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 26(3), pp. 526-531 [open access article. Last accessed 4/6/2015]
- Buffington, C.A.T. (2011) Idiopathic cystitis in domestic cats - beyond the lower urinary tract. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 25(4), pp. 784-796 [open access article. Last accessed 4/6/2015]
More references on this topic are available to download from our 'Related documents' box.
Image: Sonographic view of a catheter in the bladder of a cat with obstructive FLUTD. Author Kalumet. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International, 3.0 Unported, 2.5 Generic, 2.0 Generic and 1.0 Generic license.