As the festive season is almost upon us, give a thought to your pets. The loud bangs, noises and bright lights over the Christmas and New Year can be very stressful and painful as animals have really acute hearing.
Advice and guidance:
- BSAVA Position Statement on fireworks [online]. Available from http://www.bsava.com/Resources/Positionstatements/Fireworks.aspx [Accessed 29 November 2013]
- Defra – Fireworks and animals: how to keep your pet safe [online]. Available from http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/documents/fireworks.pdf [Accessed 29 November 2013]
- Blue Cross - Fireworks and pet [online]. Available from http://www.bluecross.org.uk/files/PA_FIREWORKS.pdf [Accessed 29 November 2013]
- RSPCA – Bang! Fireworks frighten animals [online]. Available fromhttp://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/general/fireworks [Accessed 29 November 2013]
1. Mills, D. (2005) Management of noise fears and phobias in pets. In Practice, 27 (5), pp. 248-255
2. Curtis, T. (2013) Noise & storm phobias in dogs. Today's Veterinary Practice, 3 (5), pp. 53-56
3. Buchan, G. (2009) Fireworks and noise phobias: effective approaches. Veterinary Times, 39 (41), pp. 26...29
4. Estelles, M. G. et al. (2005) A retrospective analysis of relationships with severity of signs of fear of fireworks and treatment outcome in 99 cases. Current issues and research in veterinary behavioral medicine. Papers presented at the 5th International Veterinary Behavior Meeting, pp. 161-164
More references are available to download from our 'Related documents' box.
Photo: taken by Kabir Bakie at Blue Ash Community Fireworks Show July 4 2005. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic license