Treatment of myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs
Myxomatous mitral valve disease is common in older and small breed dogs. Here is a selection of references on current studies and treatment options, including the effect of pimobendan in dogs - the latest study by A. Boswood.
- Myxomatous mitral valve degeneration -fact sheet from ACVIM [PDF 141Kb, last accessed 16/16/2016]
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - mitral valve disease - fact sheet from UFAW. An information resource for prospective pet owners. [last accessed 23/11/2016]
Open access references:
- Boswood, A. et al. (2016) Effect of pimobendan in dogs with preclinical myxomatous mitral valve disease and cardiomegaly: the EPIC study - a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 30(6), pp. 1765-1779
- Lopez-Alvarez, J. et al. (2015) Clinical severity scores system in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 29(2), pp. 575-581
- Brennan, M. and Stavisky, J. (2013) Pimodendan versus benazepril in dogs with mitral valve disease and congestive heart failure. A BestBETs for Vets.
- Atkins, C. et al. (2009) Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of canine chronic valvular heart disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23(6), pp. 1142-1150
Other recent studies:
More references from a search on CAB Abstracts are available to download from our 'Related documents' box.
- Apple, S.M. et al. (2016) Effects of pimobendan on myocardial perfusion and pulmonary transit time in dogs with myxomatous mitral valve disease: a pilot study. Australian Veterinary Journal, 94(9), pp. 324-328
- Lake-Bakaar, G.A. et al. (2015) Effect of pimobendan on the incidence of arrhythmias in small breed dogs with myxomatous mitral valve degeneration. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology, 17(2), pp. 120-128
- Mattin, M.J. et al. (2015) Degenerative mitral valve disease: survival of dogs attending primary-care practice in England. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 122(4), pp. 436-442
A critically appraised topic on the treatment with pimobendan for cats
Taurisano, N. (2013) Does treatment with pimobendan increase survival time for cats with congestive heart failure due to naturally occurring cardiac disease? Banfield Journal, 9(3), pp. 3-6 [last accessed 16/12/2016]
Image: Black labrador and two golden retriever dogs sitting in the woods. License: Public Domain. Author: Karen Arnold.